Monday, May 7, 2007

Work From Home Scams

Watch out for these Work From Home Scams
So many people these days are looking for that perfect work from home opportunity. Unfortunately, for every legitimate home based business opportunity out there, there are just as many shady internet businesses that you can operate from home.
If you're asking "how do I know if an online job is a scam?" our first advise is - if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. No legitimate work at home business will make financial guarantees & they wouldn't call it "work" if actual work wasn't involved. Think before you click. Next you should be sure to read the fine print.
Home Typist Scam
Recently, I answered an ad on Craig’s List for a part time typist. What came to me was an email instructing me to send $10.00 to a paypal account then I would receive a “training manual” explaining how I could essentially set up ad’s scamming other people out of $10.00. Bottom-line, not legitimate and no typing involved.
Online Survey Scam
Another ad promised that you could make $300-$500 a week by completing online survey’s. An email inquiry brought a response with 7 links and a message “I highly encourage you to sign up for all 7!”
Well guess what? Each site was a promotional advertisement asking you to go to OTHER sites and complete a set number of product trials/tests and/or credit card offers in order to be entered into a sweepstakes. In the fine print they also stated that each additional site “could potentially add spyware to your computer to track which sites you visit”. If you are familiar with spyware, that is NOT something that you want on your pc. After opening 2 of these sites I had to spend 3 hours running full system scams on my computer as well as ad are program removal and system clean up’s.
Envelope Stuffing Work From Home Scam
A third site asked if I wanted to make BIG BUCKS by stuffing envelopes from home. I sent my information spelling my first name incorrectly. Lo and behold, in just a few short hours my junk mailbox was filled with spam from other companies addressed to that name. So in essence, that “offer” was simply a phishing site created to get you to enter your email address so they could rent it to other companies.
Work From Home That Is Not A Scam
The bottom line is, be careful what sites you look at and open as well as what you are signing up for. Work from home is not a scam, it is a growing trend. However while there are quite a few legitimate home business opportunities out there, their are just as many get rich quick scams.
Remember ... Think before you Click!

Helping You Find Peace and Prosperity
David Carroll
952-544-0117
www.thehomebusinesscompany.com

No comments: